Saturday, March 3, 2018

Movie Year-End Wrap-Up

I acknowledge I can be a bit of a film snob, so I thought, why not take a moment to appreciate the movies that I most enjoyed this past year, regardless of cinematic vision or achievement. Since I'm still me, there's likely to be overlap, but I just want you all to know, it's ok to have fun at the cinema too! Not every movie has to be an Oscar winner. But know I'm probably still judging you. ;-) Ok, let's go! In no particular order:

Battle of the Sexes - I love Emma Stone. I love Steve Carrell. There's a fun Sara Bareilles song over the credits. I left the cinema beaming, with such a sense of girl power.

Molly's Game - I tend to like Aaron Sorkin's writing, so it's unsurprising that I enjoyed his directing as well. The parallels to The Crucible really struck a chord with me. I don't think I'd ever heard Kevin Costner say the F word before (it was awesome). Jessica Chastain is a top inspiration for me.

Atomic Blonde - James McAvoy was the perfect combination of hilarious and sinister in this. It was such a fun reversal of a typical spy thriller. I want to walk down the streets of London in a trenchcoat and heeled boots while David Bowie plays in the background. Charlize Theron kicks so much butt.

Wind River - Jon Bernthaal deserved better. Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen were both pitch perfect. I think this movie is better than Three Billboards. Fight me.

Logan
 - Great story, great cinematography. Callbacks to Shane made me cry. Patrick Stewart is grumpy the whole time and he made me cry. Hugh Jackman is also grumpy the whole time and he made me cry. I hate crying, but I really liked this movie.

Coco - I'm at the age where I'm basically only interested in Pixar's animated movies and this was my favorite offering from them since Brave.

The Big Sick - I've been a fan of Kumail Nanjiani since 2011 when he was a supporting character on the cable tv comedy Franklin & Bash and I followed the progress of this script for nearly as long (he & his wife Emily started working on it in 2012). This movie is funny, touching, and mostly true!

Baby Driver -
Edgar Wright is a genius. The integration of the music into every shot is just masterful. Who doesn't love a few heart-pounding car chases? Jon Bernthaal still deserved better.

Blade Runner 2049 - My love for the original is strong and this didn't disappoint me. It raised a lot more interesting questions and didn't answer them. My dad still thinks Ryan Gosling was robbed by the awards circuit for this.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - If you didn't like this movie, you're wrong.

Get Out - Stay woke. (And if I had to pick a winner, I think this is the best film on this list.)

Wonder Woman - I saw WW 4 times in the theater (and then twice more on an airplane in December) beating my previous record of 3 for Jurassic World. Finally the DC Comics movie we deserve. Also I might've cried a little because it was so good and I was so happy. Don't tell anyone. I have a reputation.


Thor: Ragnarok - Taika Waititi had me in stitches every time and I saw this movie 3 times in the theater. Blink and you'll miss them cameos from Sam Neill, Matt Damon, and the oldest Hemsworth. Tessa Thompson is amazing. 10 out of a possible 10 Goldblums.

Dunkirk - Rule, Britannia! Britannia rule the waves. Britons never never never will be slaves.

Lady Bird - Like I said before, I'm the target audience for this movie and I was already a Greta Gerwig fan (Frances Ha is pretty great).

Ingrid Goes West - Funny, creepy, and super awkward, this movie has a lot of questions about mental health in the social media age.

Columbus - This film is modern art. Cast John Cho in more things.

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool - Everyone's Liverpudlian accents are spot on and the British humor worked for me. Jamie Bell is really pretty and really talented. Annette Bening is a force.

Honorable mentions: The Disaster Artist and I, Tonya. I'm just still not sure whether we're laughing at them or with them.

I look forward to your letters!

No comments:

Post a Comment