Wednesday, July 3, 2013

World War Z

After some small excitement at the movie theater yesterday (smoke sensors went off. false alarm. we blamed the zombies.), I saw the incredibly expensive to make summer blockbuster World War Z. I'm not a zombie fanatic, like some, but I have nothing particularly against them either, and I was intrigued to see this Max Brooks (son of the legendary Mel Brooks) novel turned into a film. Plus, there was a lot of speculation on what exactly this movie would look like after all that time and money. So for me, this one was not to be missed and I have to say, I rather enjoyed it.
It's a fun, suspenseful summer thriller. It doesn't look overproduced, so kudos to the VFX artists and engineers (and the makeup artists) on that one. And, full disclosure, how bad could two hours of watching Brad Pitt run around really be? The answer: not bad at all.
It's more of a tense nail-biter than a gore fest (The zombies are the fast, semi-intelligent kind, rather than the slow, brain-eating kind.), so I found it entertaining. Director Marc Forster's pacing is spot-on, too. The movie doesn't go on too long or spend too much time on exposition, making it perfect for some light summer afternoon fun. Action fans will be familiar with Forster's work on Quantum of Solace (and if you liked that film and World War Z, I highly recommend his lesser known movie Stay. very, very good.).
So if you like Brad Pitt and you don't mind zombies, go see World War Z. It's the best summer action movie I've seen so far.
[PS Fun Fact: look for Matthew Fox in a no-name bit part.]

No comments:

Post a Comment